Friday, September 28, 2012

September 27, 2012


Ta-Dah! 
Today is hat day and I finally am wearing a fascinator that was our first assignment in my millinery class. 
I succeeded in creating exactly what I had envisioned. 
I think it's a little bit Steampunk.

Right side front view

It may be small but, HOURS of work are involved in creating a fascinator. 

Left side front view

The buckram base is soaked, stretched, and dried on a hat form. Cut out any shape from the buckram base, hand stitch wire to the edges of the base and next hand stitch bias tape over the wire.

Back view

Then the really fun creative process begins with covering the buckram base with any material and then loading the top with anything your heart desires.

Front view

I used silk ties for all my fabric and roses. I created my oversize, odd flower from buckram and also covered it with silk tie fabric. I layered on  some lace and trims, added an elastic strap ( not visible ) and my first fascinator is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment